Complaint Handling Course
Improve company reputation and client retention with better complaint handling skills.
How an organisation handles customer complaints is crucial in order to maintain a good reputation and to keep client business. Complaint handling training teaches the process and methodology needed to create an effective customer complaints handling procedure to improve customer care, satisfaction and complaint resolution rates.
This course will provide participants with the crucial skills and confidence to improve their handling of customer complaints with the goal of reaching a satisfactory solution that increases customer retention and loyalty.
Our complaint handling courses are designed for those who are responsible for dealing with customer complaints. Participants may handle complaints over the telephone, face to face or in writing. We will adapt the course to meet the most frequently used method of complaint handling by the participants.
By the end of this complaint training course, participants will have:
- Recognised the key skills and qualities needed to handle customer complaints effectively
- Built skills in building rapport and engaging with the customer
- Demonstrated empathy whilst maintaining control of the conversation
- Established the customer’s needs through questions and listening
- Defused difficult customer emotional responses
- Resolved typical work based complaints effectively
Key skills and qualities for handling complaints
- Model for handling complaints
- Benefits of handling complaints effectively
- Pairs exercise ‘in your customer’s shoes’ and participant introductions, facilitated group discussion
Communication, building rapport
- Breakdown of communication
- Building customer rapport
- Impact of telephone and written communication
- Verbal handshake
- Communication styles
- Paired practice, small group exercise, facilitated group discussion, self awareness questionnaire
Maintaining control and empathy in complaint handling
- Using positive language
- Remaining assertive when under pressure
- Small group written exercise, facilitation and presentation
Establishing customer needs
- Asking open questions
- Introduce questioning funnel
- Listening and summarising
- Demonstration, small group practical exercises and facilitated group review
Defusing difficult customer emotional responses
- Managing personal response – 6 Step Approach
- Complaint handling techniques to defuse anger and other emotional responses
- Presentation, individual and small group exercise, and facilitated group discussion
Agreeing an appropriate course of action with customers
- Achieving a win/win outcome for the customer and the organisation
- Being clear on the authority/power you have
- Escalating complaints with a defined complaint management process
- Making commitments and honouring promises
- Small group exercise with written scenarios, group feedback and discussion
Handling work based complaints
- Tips on applying skills and techniques to written complaints
- Practising work based complaint scenarios
- Feedback and review of learning in small groups
- Review of how to apply in practice
- Presentation, practice sessions in small groups and facilitated whole group review
Review and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The complaint handling training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on complaint management
- A colour printed workbook with tips, complaint resolution techniques and space for personal notes
The complaint handling course is run as “in-house”, at the business premises of our client anywhere in the UK, or at a venue of your choice. Contact us for pricing.
Please note that this course can be combined with customer service training tailored to your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
Our network of CIPD qualified trainers can deliver in-house complaints handling training to companies across the UK, including the following locations:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Need a bespoke complaint training course?
At KSL Training, even our standard courses include some tailoring to your business. To discuss a fully bespoke course call: +44 (0) 1635 890450
What’s included already…
- Up to 30 minute telephone conversation with our office team
- Pre-course information and activity
- Embedding of your own work-based scenarios
Tailor the training…
- Up to 60 minute telephone conversation with your chosen trainer
- Up to 2 hours modification of existing training materials
- Reinforce your policies and procedures within the training
+£450 per course
Fully Bespoke Training…
- Half-day meeting with your chosen trainer to ensure the training meets your needs, building the ideal programme with you
- A plan of how the learning will be applied and measured and an agreed project plan
- 2 x 30 - 60 minute telephone conversations with the trainer
Testimonials from previous attendees
I thoroughly enjoyed the course and learnt a lot more than I thought.
Absolutely lovely and charismatic training delivered by Sharon. She is very knowledgeable, engaging and the day flew by.
The session was very informative and has certainly changed my view on complaints handling.
Extremely useful, will be able to respond accordingly to any complaint and its specific needs.