Budgeting for Managers
Gain an understanding of budgeting techniques and financial information.
A practical one-day budgeting course providing a introduction to the world of business finance.
This course demystifies the world of budgeting and provides participants with practical techniques to understand and use financial information within their organisation.
Our budgeting training uses real life examples and case studies alongside exercises for delegates to practice what they have learned.
By the end of this one-day budgeting course, the participants will have:
- Understood the stages of the budgetary cycle and consider different ways of setting a budget
- Prepared the budget for an organisation based on a Case Study scenario
- Debated the behavioural challenges surrounding the management of budgets
- Analysed an organisation’s financial performance and recommend suitable actions
Section 1: Business finance
- Identify and understand sources of capital for a business
- Consider the uses of capital, including current assets, non-current assets and expenses
- Explain the working capital cycle and its implications for an organisation
- Clarify the difference between profit and cashflow
Section 2: The primary financial statements
- Understand accounting concepts of accruals, going concern, prudence and consistency
- Define the components of a Balance Sheet (Statement of Financial Position)
- Calculate the value of assets and liabilities on the balance sheet, including depreciation
- Define the components of an Income Statement (Profit & Loss Report)
- Calculate financial adjustments to the Income Statement, including accruals and prepayments
- Briefly consider the double-entry nature of financial transactions
Section 3: Introduction to budgeting
- Understand budgeting from a broader business perspective
- Explore the stages of the budgetary cycle
- Consider different ways of setting a budget, including:
- Top Down and Bottom Up
- Fixed / flexible
- Incremental, zero-based and rolling
Session 4: Preparing a budget
- Trace the budgeting pyramid through all components of the organisation’s budget
- Case Study: prepare a budget for an organisation using the information provided
- Apply the balanced scorecard to highlight non-financial Key Performance Indicators
- Debate behavioural challenges to setting an effective budget
Sessions 5 – 6: Making the numbers talk
- Case Study: analyse an organisation’s financial performance against budget and recommend appropriate actions
Note: There is the opportunity for the organisation’s own management accounts to be used for this exercise.
The training will be supported with:
- Half a day’s consultancy time to personalise the training to meet your organisation’s needs and practices
- A participant workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes. For a sustainable solution, we offer editable workbooks for online use and exercise handouts for printing
Testimonials from previous attendees
Really informative, very useful and accommodating.
Peter was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the subject matter. He was able to change his plans about what he was going to teach us and quickly understood what we needed.