Recruitment and Selection Course
Recruit the best candidates and improve business performance.
A comprehensive one-day recruitment and selection training course which covers practical interviewing skills and candidate screening methodology. Also includes hands-on exercises and practice interviews.
Available in a ‘bite-size’ virtual learning format via Zoom or Microsoft Teams for remote working managers.
This practical course provides participants with the skills, knowledge and confidence to recruit and select the right team member for the job.
We recommend that the recruitment training programme takes into consideration your company’s recruitment and selection process. As a result, this will ensure that the training embeds best practice across the organisation.
Importantly, participants go on to practice their interviewing skills during the course. Hence we use either internal candidates (not attending the programme and unfamiliar to the participants); or candidates external to the organisation. This provides participants with more of a “real life” experience.
For managers with limited experience of recruitment. The training develops skills and confidence in interviewing new team members, to produce an accurate assessment, as well as understanding the whole selection process.
In addition, we can also deliver a more extensive course based over 2 days that includes
competency based interviewing techniques.
By the end of the one-day training course, the participants will have:
- Recognised the importance of adopting a structured recruitment process as well as the use of relevant selection methods
- Screened candidates’ CVs or application forms using an agreed selection criteria for a job role. In addition, to identify any anomalies for further research
- Prepared for a first stage selection interview to ensure they create the right first impressions and candidate engagement
- Asked effective questions as well as accurately assess the candidate’s potential suitability for the role
Effective recruitment and selection methods
- Cost of poor recruitment decisions
- Role of manager and HR within the current selection process
- Selection methods and their validity
- Positioning and benefits of using a structured screening criteria and process
- Rotating flipchart exercise, short presentation as well as group discussion
Screening and short listing job applicants
- Essential skills and attributes
- Considerations for screening application forms or CVs
- Areas of the application or CVs to focus on
- Using your selection criteria for screening applicants
- Group discussion and ‘screening applications’ exercise using job applications for a pre-selected job role. If using internal or external candidates, this exercise would act as preparation for the interview practice sessions.
Structuring and preparing for interviews
- Introducing the WASP structure and its benefits
- Creating the right first impressions
- Building rapport and empathy
- Biographical information covered
- Selling the organisation and the job
- Preparing yourself, the environment
- Preparing the candidate
- Demonstration with group learning review, small group exercise and feedback
Using effective questions
- Types of questions to use at an interview
- Applying questions to build rapport, uncover experience as well as motivation fit, and aptitude for the role
- Recognising questions to avoid and why (awareness of employment legislation and the ‘horns and halo’ effect)
- Group discussion and trainer presentation, as well as questioning exercise in pairs or trios
Actively listening and taking notes
- Active listening, reflecting back and summarising responses
- Note taking
- Energising listening activity and review, as well as trainer presentation tips. Also includes some short exercises to practice actively listening, note taking and summarising candidate responses
Preparing for the selection interview
- Briefing and interview preparation
Conducting a selection interview
- Practising skills of interviewer, note taker and observer
- Practice sessions with observer feedback – option to utilise internal candidates to make the practice session more ‘real life’
Making the selection decision
- Evaluating and rating evidence
- Using a rating scale
- Recommending the next stage in the selection process
- Trainer tips presentation and short exercise in trios to rate candidate responses. Also followed by whole group review of candidates to compare ratings (if using external candidates)
Applying the learning and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques as well as space for personal notes
- An interview practice pack
Testimonials from previous attendees
Interesting and enjoyable. Role play idea was good and increased confidence within the group.
Interesting, good pace, gained a lot of information for recruitment which was ideal.