Assertiveness Skills Course
Build confidence, communicate better and achieve your goals.
Learn how to be more assertive, with our assertiveness skills training course, for improving communication in the workplace.
Assertiveness training provides individuals with the skills and knowledge to enable them to communicate more confidently and effectively, using assertive behaviour techniques.
The course provides participants with the opportunity to work on their own personal and work situations, where they want to be more assertive. Delegates leave the training equipped with some effective, practiced strategies for achieving a more successful outcome.
Our assertiveness skills course is ideal for people looking to take more control of their working and/or personal life. The training includes techniques and strategies to help delegates become more confident and assertive to achieve their desired outcome, when communicating with others.
By the end of this one-day training course, the participants will have:
- Recognised the three main categories of behaviour, their advantages and disadvantages and how to best respond to them
- Tried a wide range of assertiveness techniques to help them to become more assertive in the workplace
- Created an action plan to enable them to build on their new assertiveness skills going forward
Introducing the Assertiveness Skills Toolkit
- Facilitator presentation and participant personal introductions
Understanding what makes people assertive and their benefits
- Types of behaviours
- Benefits, advantages and disadvantages of each type of behaviour
- Internal beliefs and their impact
- Rights and responsibilities
- Expressing your desired outcome
- Rotating flipchart group work, facilitated group review, individual questionnaire, pairs exercise and group discussion
Using assertive communication
- Words and phrases to avoid
- Positive phrasing
- Importance and impact of positive body language and voice tone
- Updating the Assertiveness Skills Toolkit
- Practice writing assertive response on personal scenario
- Demonstration and presentation, individual and pairs exercise and practice, facilitated group review
Further techniques for developing assertiveness
- Fogging and broken record technique
- Ways of saying ‘no’
- Giving feedback
- Presentation, Metaplanning and small group exercise, facilitated group review
Responding to other behavioural styles
- Appreciating the impact of the different styles of behaviour on each other
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection and action planning exercise, facilitated group review
The assertiveness skills training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading to prepare for the assertiveness skill training
- A colour printed workbook with tips, assertiveness techniques and space for personal notes
Our assertiveness course is normally delivered as in-house training, at the business premises of our client. We do not currently offer a public course. Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
Our professionally qualified trainers deliver in-house assertiveness training courses to companies across the UK, including the following locations:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Need a bespoke assertiveness training course?
At KSL Training, even our standard courses include some tailoring to your business. To discuss a fully bespoke course call: +44 (0) 1635 890450
What’s included already…
- Up to 30 minute telephone conversation with our office team
- Pre-course information and activity
- Embedding of your own work-based scenarios
Tailor the training…
- Up to 60 minute telephone conversation with your chosen trainer
- Up to 2 hours modification of existing training materials
- Reinforce your policies and procedures within the training
+£450 per course
Fully Bespoke Training…
- Half-day meeting with your chosen trainer to ensure the training meets your needs, building the ideal programme with you
- A plan of how the learning will be applied and measured and an agreed project plan
- 2 x 30 - 60 minute telephone conversations with the trainer
Testimonials from previous attendees
One of th best courses I have been on.
Excellent. The trainer was absolutely fantastic.
Excellent course and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Very helpful, good interaction with other participants, so not threatening. Lots of practical ideas to implement straight away.
Great – very practical – it was good having a small group as felt easy to share.
Fantastically useful course. Valuable to all areas of my professional and personal life.