Chairing Meetings Course
Increase meeting productivity and reduce time spent in meetings.
Our chairing meetings training provides valuable techniques to help you structure meetings more professionally, in order to get the best contributions from the meeting participants. Run as a half-day or full-day course with “bite-size” virtual training available for remote working teams.
To help managers get the most from the meetings they chair. The training will also help them achieve clearly defined meeting outcomes, by improving participant contributions and overcoming meeting challenges.
For those who chair face to face meetings and want to maximise participant contributions. The training can also be tailored for people who wish to develop their skills in conducting telephone or conference meetings.
By the end of this one-day chairing meetings course, the participants will have:
- Acquired a common understanding of the roles and expectations within effective meetings, including the role of the chairperson, facilitator, minute taker and attendees
- Established the best structure for conducting their meetings and the tools available to achieve the meeting outcomes
- Developed skills and techniques to manage different behaviours and energy levels within a meeting to ensure they get the most from the meeting attendees’ contributions
Principles and roles within effective meetings
- Types of meetings
- Characteristics and structure of effective meetings
- Role of chairperson, facilitator, minute taker and attendees
- Whole group speed chatting exercise, rotating flipchart group work, individual questionnaire and reflection
Using Meeting Agendas
- Producing the meeting agenda
- Scheduling the agenda items and managing attendance
- Achieving the desired outcome/s
- Managing action plans
- Small group exercise, meeting facilitation and presentation
- Recognising natural roles people take within a meeting
- Channelling the different behaviours
- Techniques to manage participation and channel energy
- Using questions to manage participation
- Whole group meeting practice exercise with briefs, Metaplanning exercise, individual questionnaire and facilitated group discussion
- Methods available to review meetings
- Presentation and facilitated group review
Meeting skills practice
- Small group meetings with review and observer feedback
- Feedback and review of learning in small groups
- Small group meeting skills practice with observer feedback
- Review of learning and action planning
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Testimonials from previous attendees
Excellent training for staff who are new to chairing or facilitating meetings. Easy going course + good content.
Excellent resources – very well presented. Good interactions from the group. Enjoyable session.
Very interesting and enlightening and fun. Ann was a great ‘leader’ of the course.
Very informative, enthusiastic trainer, non threatening environment. Good workbook will refer back and keep in my management folder. Thank you
This course has enabled me to gain renewed confidence in tackling the difficult behaviours that can be presented in meetings – thank you!