Performance Appraisal Course
Learn how to conduct effective performance appraisals.
A comprehensive one-day performance appraisal course for managers, to improve appraisers’ performance management techniques.
Provides practical performance appraisal training to help participants:
- Acquire the critical knowledge, skills and confidence to undertake effective performance appraisal discussions with their direct reports.
- Improve the performance of their direct reports through the effective use of the performance management process.
By the end of this one-day appraisal training course, participants will be able to:
- State the core principles and benefits of effective performance appraisals
- Set and write SMART performance objectives
- Review the appraisee’s performance and clearly summarise the agreed level of performance
- Give constructive and motivational feedback
- Hold structured conversational performance appraisal meetings
Principles of effective appraisals
- Performance management, the tools and their benefits
- Principles of effective performance appraisal discussions
- Organisations performance appraisal process
- ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ style quiz or speed chatting/ revolving flipchart exercise, presentation and group discussion
Setting SMART Objectives
- Objective setting process
- Communicating performance objectives
- Writing SMART performance objectives
- Presentation, the ‘shoot out’ exercise with facilitated group review, paired written practice and group discussion
The appraisal meeting
- Structuring and introducing the appraisal meeting
- Identifying the key skills needed
- Evidencing performance
- Demonstration/presentation, paired exercise and facilitated group review discussion
- Questioning, listening and giving feedback
- Presentation, paired and small group exercises, and facilitated group discussion
Practicing the key skills in conducting an appraisal
- Each participant takes the role of appraisee, appraiser and observer using a checklist
- Practice sessions in trios with group learning review and discussion
Performance appraisal documentation and follow up
- Reviewing internal performance appraisal documentation
- Providing follow up to the appraisal and frequency
- Preparing for the performance appraisal meeting
- Review of documentation, group discussion and preparation checklist
Review and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with techniques and tips for conducting appraisals as well as space for personal notes
- An optional performance guide summarising the key points
Standard UK course pricing - performance appraisal
The pricing below is for delivering the performance appraisal course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-4 participants £625 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £650 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £695 +VAT
- 3-4 participants £895 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
2 x Half-day courses…
Run on the same weekday.
- 6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
- 13-24 participants £1095 +VAT
Type of course: In-house
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
Get a quote
In-House Training Locations
We deliver in-house performance appraisal training for managers right across the UK and have local trainers covering the following areas:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Testimonials from previous attendees
Well presented with engaging, relevant and creative exercises. Well worth a day out of a busy schedule!
Very informative and helpful. A lot of useful tips and guidance.
Trainer was very knowledgeable and made the training interesting, and was able to keep things in perspective when others deviated.
Very good. Kim had an excellent background and knowledge and was very supportive in her comments.