Performance Appraisal Course
Learn how to conduct effective performance appraisals.
A comprehensive one-day performance appraisal course for managers, to improve appraisers’ performance management techniques. Also available as ‘bite-size’ virtual training via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
Provides practical performance appraisal training to help participants:
- Acquire the critical knowledge, skills and confidence to undertake effective performance appraisal discussions with their direct reports.
- Improve the performance of their direct reports through the effective use of the performance management process.
By the end of this one-day appraisal training course, participants will be able to:
- State the core principles and benefits of effective performance appraisals
- Set and write SMART performance objectives
- Review the appraisee’s performance and clearly summarise the agreed level of performance
- Give constructive and motivational feedback
- Hold structured conversational performance appraisal meetings
Principles of effective appraisals
- Performance management, the tools and their benefits
- Principles of effective performance appraisal discussions
- Organisations performance appraisal process
- ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ style quiz or speed chatting/ revolving flipchart exercise, presentation and group discussion
Setting SMART Objectives
- Objective setting process
- Communicating performance objectives
- Writing SMART performance objectives
- Presentation, the ‘shoot out’ exercise with facilitated group review, paired written practice and group discussion
The appraisal meeting
- Structuring and introducing the appraisal meeting
- Identifying the key skills needed
- Evidencing performance
- Demonstration/presentation, paired exercise and facilitated group review discussion
- Questioning, listening and giving feedback
- Presentation, paired and small group exercises, and facilitated group discussion
Practicing the key skills in conducting an appraisal
- Each participant takes the role of appraisee, appraiser and observer using a checklist
- Practice sessions in trios with group learning review and discussion
Performance appraisal documentation and follow up
- Reviewing internal performance appraisal documentation
- Providing follow up to the appraisal and frequency
- Preparing for the performance appraisal meeting
- Review of documentation, group discussion and preparation checklist
Review and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with techniques and tips for conducting appraisals as well as space for personal notes
- An optional performance guide summarising the key points
Testimonials from previous attendees
Excellent. This will improve the way we carry out appraisals.
Well presented with engaging, relevant and creative exercises. Well worth a day out of a busy schedule!
Very informative and helpful. A lot of useful tips and guidance.
Trainer was very knowledgeable and made the training interesting, and was able to keep things in perspective when others deviated.