Learn how to conduct effective performance appraisals.
A comprehensive one day performance appraisal course for managers, to improve appraisers’ performance management techniques.
This course provides appraisal skills training for line team leaders and managers who have a responsibility for managing the performance and conduct of others at work.
The performance appraisal course will help participants:
- Acquire the critical knowledge, skills and confidence to undertake effective performance appraisal discussions with their direct reports.
- Improve the performance of their direct reports through the effective use of the performance management process.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- State the core principles and benefits of effective performance appraisals
- Set and write SMART performance objectives
- Review the appraisee’s performance and clearly summarise the agreed level of performance
- Give constructive and motivational feedback
- Hold structured conversational performance appraisal meetings
- Principles of effective appraisals
- Performance management, the tools and their benefits
- Principles of effective performance appraisal discussions
- Organisations performance appraisal process
- ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire’ style quiz or speed chatting/ revolving flipchart exercise, presentation and group discussion
- Setting SMART Objectives
- Objective setting process
- Communicating performance objectives
- Writing SMART performance objectives
- Presentation, the ‘shoot out’ exercise with facilitated group review, paired written practice and group discussion
- The appraisal meeting
- Structuring and introducing the appraisal meeting
- Identifying the key skills needed
- Evidencing performance
- Demonstration/presentation, paired exercise and facilitated group review discussion
- Appraisal skills
- Questioning, listening and giving feedback
- Presentation, paired and small group exercises, and facilitated group discussion
- Practicing the key skills in conducting an appraisal
- Each participant takes the role of appraisee, appraiser and observer using a checklist
- Practice sessions in trios with group learning review and discussion
- Performance appraisal documentation and follow up
- Reviewing internal performance appraisal documentation
- Providing follow up to the appraisal and frequency
- Preparing for the performance appraisal meeting
- Review of documentation, group discussion and preparation checklist
- Review and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The appraisal training will be supported with:
- an optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- a colour printed workbook with techniques and tips for conducting appraisals as well as space for personal notes
- an optional performance guide summarising the key points
© KSL Consulting Ltd. DO NOT COPY content from this page. Plagiarism will result in prosecution.
Well presented with engaging, relevant and creative exercises. Well worth a day out of a busy schedule!
Country Manager, HTC Europe
Very good. Kim had an excellent background and knowledge and was very supportive in her comments.
Esther Brooks, Marketing Operations Co-ordinator, Chartered Insurance Institute
Trainer was very knowledgeable and made the training interesting, and was able to keep things in perspective when others deviated.
Christine Marshall, F. M. Desk Supervisor, KUSCO
Very informative and helpful. A lot of useful tips and guidance.
Karen Monaghan, Accounts Manager, Image Factory
More customer reviews
To request a quote or make a booking, please complete the form below.
Note: Form fields with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Please complete them in order to submit the form.
The appraisal skills course is delivered as “in-house training” at your business premises anywhere in the UK, or at a venue of your choice.
Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
We can deliver in-house appraisal training courses to companies across the UK and have local trainers covering the following areas:
- London and the South East
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Oxford and Swindon
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Devon, Cornwall and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland