Facilitation Skills Course
Become a more effective group facilitator.
In this group facilitation training course, participants will learn facilitation skills and techniques to encourage and support a group of people to achieve their goal or objectives.
During the facilitation skills training, delegates will learn how to facilitate meetings to maximise individual and group contributions so that their meeting participants achieve their desired objective.
The facilitator will demonstrate a range of group facilitation methods that the participants can practice and use in the meetings they facilitate. Participants will then be given the opportunity to try out a group working method and use their facilitation skills in the practical context of their own work. This will help them to prepare for the next meeting they will be facilitating.
The course provides comprehensive facilitator training for individuals who facilitate meetings and want to gain maximum audience participation and contribution, teaching you the art of effective meeting facilitation.
By the end of this one-day group facilitation training course, the participants will have:
- Explained their role as a facilitator.
- Identified their preferred facilitation style and the ways it can be adapted to meet the needs of different groups.
- Recognised and used appropriate facilitation techniques that can maximise contributions within the group.
- Used a group working technique that will increase the methodology and effectiveness of the meetings they facilitate.
Role of the facilitator
- Definition of facilitation
- Role of facilitator versus leader
- Small group exercise, group discussion and short presentation
- Stages of group development
- Styles of facilitation
- Adapting facilitation style to maturity of group
- Personal facilitation style
- Small group ‘styles of facilitation’ exercise, group discussion and review of individual facilitation styles questionnaire
Facilitation skills and interventions
- Key facilitation skills and techniques
- Types of facilitator interventions
- Using questions to manage meeting behaviour and contributions
- Metaplanning group exercise, pairs exercise and practice meeting with group learning review
Group working techniques
- Identifying when to use different group working techniques
- Small group exercise and group learning review
Practice sessions – preparation
- Selecting a group working method to practice using
- Facilitator brief, small group preparation
- Small group facilitation demonstration of selected group working method
- Participant feedback
- Practice session with group feedback and learning review
Reviewing the learning and next steps
- Action planning and course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- An electronic pre-course participant facilitation styles questionnaire
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Testimonials from previous attendees
Very informative and enjoyable day.
Really good, useful to be able to practice facilitation. The facilitator was very engaging. Really enjoyed it.
Thank you for taking the time to tailor this session to suit our organisation’s needs. I found the training excellent and exceptionally relevant from start to end. Very much appreciated + valued.
I enjoyed the way we learned and feel that the tips and group facilitation skills I learnt have given me the confidence to facilitate my next team meeting and achieve our goals better.