Facilitation Skills Course
Become a more effective group facilitator.
In this group facilitation training course, participants will learn facilitation skills and techniques to encourage and support a group of people to achieve their goal or objectives.
During the training, delegates will learn how to facilitate meetings to maximise individual and group contributions so that their meeting participants achieve their desired objective.
The facilitator will demonstrate a range of group working methods that the participants can practice and use in the meetings they facilitate. Participants will then be given the opportunity to try out a group working method and use their facilitation skills in the practical context of their own work. This will help them to prepare for the next meeting they will be facilitating.
The course provides comprehensive facilitator training for individuals who facilitate meetings and want to gain maximum audience participation and contribution, teaching you the art of effective meeting facilitation.
By the end of this one-day facilitation skills training course, the participants will have:
- Explained their role as a facilitator.
- Identified their preferred facilitation style and the ways it can be adapted to meet the needs of different groups.
- Recognised and used appropriate facilitation interventions that can maximise contributions within the group.
- Used a group working technique that will increase the methodology and effectiveness of the meetings they facilitate.
Role of the facilitator
- Definition of facilitation
- Role of facilitator versus leader
- Small group exercise, group discussion and short presentation
- Stages of group development
- Styles of facilitation
- Adapting facilitation style to maturity of group
- Personal facilitation style
- Small group ‘styles of facilitation’ exercise, group discussion and review of individual facilitation styles questionnaire
Facilitation skills and interventions
- Key facilitation skills and techniques
- Types of facilitator interventions
- Using questions to manage meeting behaviour and contributions
- Metaplanning group exercise, pairs exercise and practice meeting with group learning review
Group working techniques
- Identifying when to use different group working techniques
- Small group exercise and group learning review
Practice sessions – preparation
- Selecting a group working method to practice using
- Facilitator brief, small group preparation
- Small group facilitation demonstration of selected group working method
- Participant feedback
- Practice session with group feedback and learning review
Reviewing the learning and next steps
- Action planning and course feedback
Facilitation courses will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on group facilitation skills
- An electronic pre-course participant facilitation styles questionnaire
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
The Facilitation Training Course is one of our ‘in-house’ training programmes, run at the business premises of our UK based clients. Contact us for pricing or to discuss your training needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
We have professionally qualified trainers across the UK, who deliver in-house group facilitation training for companies in the following locations:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Need a bespoke facilitation training course?
At KSL Training, even our standard courses include some tailoring to your business. To discuss a fully bespoke course call: +44 (0) 1635 890450
What’s included already…
- Up to 30 minute telephone conversation with our office team
- Pre-course information and activity
- Embedding of your own work-based scenarios
Tailor the training…
- Up to 60 minute telephone conversation with your chosen trainer
- Up to 2 hours modification of existing training materials
- Reinforce your policies and procedures within the training
+£450 per course
Fully Bespoke Training…
- Half-day meeting with your chosen trainer to ensure the training meets your needs, building the ideal programme with you
- A plan of how the learning will be applied and measured and an agreed project plan
- 2 x 30 - 60 minute telephone conversations with the trainer
Testimonials from previous attendees
Very informative and enjoyable day.
Really good, useful to be able to practice facilitation. The facilitator was very engaging. Really enjoyed it.
Thank you for taking the time to tailor this session to suit our organisation’s needs. I found the training excellent and exceptionally relevant from start to end. Very much appreciated + valued.
I enjoyed the way we learned and feel that the tips and group facilitation skills I learnt have given me the confidence to facilitate my next team meeting and achieve our goals better.