Competency Based Interviewing Course
Reduce staff turnover and select high performers to your team.
Using the Competency Based Interviewing technique within your selection interviews will help you identify those that will perform well within your team.
This practical course will enhance participants’ skills, knowledge and confidence in recruiting and selecting the right team member for the job using the competency based interviewing technique. Available as a half-day or one-day training programme.
We recommend that the competency based interview training is embedded with two to four of your core competencies that are used in the majority of jobs within the organisation to help embed the consistency of selection decisions.
For those who are responsible for making the selection decision for new members to their team and already have some experience in recruitment. It can also be tailored to meet the needs of team leaders, managers and recruitment practitioners.
After completing this course, participants will have:
- Practised competency based interviewing techniques using the CARL questioning method
- Evaluated and grouped data according to a competency
- Made objective selection decisions based on the evidence acquired
Positioning of competency based interviewing
- What are competencies, competency frameworks and how they benefit the organisation and their people
- Short presentation and group discussion
Structuring competency based interviews
- Format and techniques of a competency based interview
- Reminder of the WASP interview structure
- Preparing the candidate for a competency based interview
- Time and structure needed to explore each competency
- Use of competency based interview guide
- Facilitator demonstration with volunteer, small group work and group discussion, review of interview practice pack
Acquiring evidence – questioning & listening skills
- CARL questioning method
- Handling candidate responses to questions
- Observing candidate behaviours and recording responses
- Summarising candidate responses
- Acquiring full evidence exercise in small groups, facilitator presentation tips, and CARL questioning and summarising practice exercise in pairs using one core competency, group review of learning
Conducting a competency based interview
- Practising skills of interviewer, note taker and observer
- Practice sessions with internal or external candidates and observer feedback
Making the selection decision
- Evaluating and rating evidence
- Using a rating scale
- Recommending the next stage in the selection process
- Trainer tips presentation, exercise in trios to review and evaluate candidate responses and assign a rating, whole group review of candidate ratings and recommendations
Review and next steps
- Applying the learning
- Further support
- Individual exercise and group review
The interviewing training will be supported with:
- an optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- a colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- an interview practice pack with competency based interview questions
Standard UK course pricing - competency based interviewing
The pricing below is for delivering the competency based interview course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-4 participants £625 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £650 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £695 +VAT
- 3-4 participants £895 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
2 x Half-day courses…
Run on the same weekday.
- 6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
- 13-24 participants £1095 +VAT
Type of course: In-house
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
Get a quote
In-House Training Locations
We deliver in-house competency based interview training for companies right across the UK and have local trainers covering the following areas:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Testimonials from previous attendees
Feel I learned new skills, new ideas for the business. Was good to train as a group.
Has given some good ideas as to how to improve the interview process.