Competency Based Interviewing Course
Reduce staff turnover and select high performers to your team.
Learn how to use the Competency Based Interviewing technique within your selection interviews, with our practical half-day or one-day course. Also available as ‘bite-size’ virtual training via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
This practical interviewing course will enhance participants’ skills, knowledge and confidence in recruiting and selecting the right team member for the job, using the competency based interviewing technique. Available as a half-day or one-day training programme, also with bite-size virtual training options.
We recommend that the competency based interview training is embedded with a few of the core competencies used in the majority of jobs within your organisation. This improves the consistency of selection decisions.
For those who are responsible for making the selection decision for new members to their team and already have some experience in recruitment. It can also be tailored to meet the needs of team leaders, managers and recruitment practitioners.
After completing this competency based interview training, participants will have:
- Practised competency based interviewing techniques using the CARL questioning method
- Evaluated and grouped data according to a competency
- Made objective selection decisions based on the evidence acquired
Positioning of competency based interviewing
- What are competencies, competency frameworks and how they benefit the organisation and their people
- Short presentation and group discussion
Structuring competency based interviews
- Format and techniques of a competency based interview
- Reminder of the WASP interview structure
- Preparing the candidate for a competency based interview
- Time and structure needed to explore each competency
- Use of competency based interview guide
- Facilitator demonstration with volunteer, small group work and group discussion, review of interview practice pack
Acquiring evidence – questioning & listening skills
- CARL questioning method
- Handling candidate responses to questions
- Observing candidate behaviours and recording responses
- Summarising candidate responses
- Acquiring full evidence exercise in small groups, facilitator presentation tips, and CARL questioning and summarising practice exercise in pairs using one core competency, group review of learning
Conducting a competency based interview
- Practising skills of interviewer, note taker and observer
- Practice sessions with internal or external candidates and observer feedback
Making the selection decision
- Evaluating and rating evidence
- Using a rating scale
- Recommending the next stage in the selection process
- Trainer tips presentation, exercise in trios to review and evaluate candidate responses and assign a rating, whole group review of candidate ratings and recommendations
Review and next steps
- Applying the learning
- Further support
- Individual exercise and group review
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- An interview practice pack with competency based interview questions
Testimonials from previous attendees
Excellent. Fantastic, informative & fun course. Prepare every time.
Feel I learned new skills, new ideas for the business. Was good to train as a group.