Reduce staff turnover and select high performers to your team.
Using the Competency Based Interviewing technique within your selection interviews will help you identify those that will perform well within your team.
The competency based interview training course is designed for those who are responsible for making the selection decision for new members to their team and already have some experience in recruiting team members. It can be tailored to meet the needs of team leaders, managers and recruitment practitioners.
- This practical course will enhance participants’ skills, knowledge and confidence in recruiting and selecting the right team member for the job using the competency based interviewing technique. Available as a half-day or one-day training programme.
- For in-house training programmes, we recommend that this training is embedded with two to four of your core competencies that are used in the majority of jobs within the organisation to help embed the consistency of selection decisions.
After completing this competency based interview training, participants will have:
- Used competency based interviewing techniques using the CARL questioning method
- Evaluated and grouped data according to a competency
- Made objective selection decisions based on the evidence acquired
- Positioning of Competency Based Interviewing
- What are competencies, competency frameworks and how they benefit the organisation and their people
- Short presentation and group discussion
- Structuring competency based interviews
- Format and techniques of a competency based interview
- Reminder of the WASP interview structure
- Preparing the candidate for a competency based interview
- Time and structure needed to explore each competency
- Use of competency based interview guide
- Facilitator demonstration with volunteer, small group work and group discussion, review of interview practice pack
- Acquiring evidence – questioning & listening skills
- CARL questioning method
- Handling candidate responses to questions
- Observing candidate behaviours and recording responses
- Summarising candidate responses
- Acquiring full evidence exercise in small groups, facilitator presentation tips, and CARL questioning and summarising practice exercise in pairs using one core competency, group review of learning
- Conducting a competency based interview
- Practising skills of interviewer, note taker and observer
- Practice sessions with internal or external candidates and observer feedback
- Making the selection decision
- Evaluating and rating evidence
- Using a rating scale
- Recommending the next stage in the selection process
- Trainer tips presentation, exercise in trios to review and evaluate candidate responses and assign a rating, whole group review of candidate ratings and recommendations
- Review and next steps
- Applying the learning
- Further support
- Individual exercise and group review
The interviewing training will be supported with:
- an optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- a colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- an interview practice pack with competency based interview questions
You may also be interested in this informative article:
© KSL Consulting Ltd. DO NOT COPY content from this page. Plagiarism will result in prosecution.
Very supportive, interactive, felt I’m leaving with a good understanding.
Douglas Gambling, Talent Acquisition Manager, Betfair
Has given some good ideas as to how to improve the interview process.
Caroline Baines, Service Manager, New Boundaries Group
Enjoyable, facilitator engaging. I am much more confident in my ability to interview – thanks.
Paula Lloyd, Senior Quality Engineer, Cabot Carbon
More customer reviews
4.7/5 stars from 30 reviews on FreeIndex
To request a quote or make a booking, please complete the form below.
Note: Form fields with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Please complete them in order to submit the form.
This course is offered as "in-house training" – delivered at the business premises of our client anywhere in the UK, or at a venue of your choice. Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit your needs.
In-House Training Locations
Our trainers deliver in-house interview training to companies across the UK, including the following locations:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Reading, Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Devon, Cornwall and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland