Basic Sales Skills Course
Acquire basic sales skills and gain confidence to make telephone or face-to-face sales.
This one-day basic sales training course provides a comprehensive introduction to successful selling. Participants learn customer-focused selling techniques as well as new skills for starting a sales conversation, building client rapport, selling a particular product or service and closing the sale.
This sales course will develop the participants’ skills, behaviour and confidence to sell over the telephone and face-to-face.
The training also aims to provide participants with an understanding of core sales principles, as well as basic selling skills to convert sales enquiries into business.
- Our basic sales training is ideal for anyone new to a sales role, or who has a little experience but no formal training and would like to understand more about the sales process and develop their selling skills.
- The course will be tailored to your marketplace and industry sectors and we will use your own examples of customers, clients and targets for discussion and role-play practise.
As a follow-on to the introductory sales training, we also offer intermediate sales training aimed at consultants, experts and professionals. This two-day course further develops the participants’ selling skills in progressing the sale, gaining customer commitment and overcoming customer concerns and objections.
By the end of this one-day basic sales training course, the participants will:
- Understand what makes a great sales person.
- Follow a customer-focused sales process to guide their sales conversations and match the buying cycle.
- Create a great first impression and opening to a sales conversation.
- Identify needs and opportunities through effective questioning and listening.
- Introduce services and products using features and benefits.
- Gain commitment from customers when closing the customer conversation.
What makes a good sales person?
- Exercise – a typical sales person
- What is selling?
- Behaviours, skills and mindset of a good sales person
- Facilitator presentation, small group activity, plenary discussion, individual reflection
How people buy
- The buying process
- Principles of great customer-focused selling
- The sales model
- Applying to your business and role
- Facilitator input, discussion, partner work
Opening a sales conversation
- Outbound and inbound sales calls
- Face-to-face meetings
- First impressions
- The impact of verbal and non-verbal behaviour
- Importance of rapport and relationships
- How we build rapport in a sales context
- Levels of rapport
- Small group work, facilitator input
Fact finding and uncovering needs
- Listening skills; face-to-face and on the telephone
- Active listening
- Questioning skills
- Open and closed questions
- Small group exercises, facilitator input, discussion
- Developing questions related to typical buyers and the organisation’s products and services
- Small group work
Proposing a solution
- Defining features, advantages and benefits
- Understanding the features, advantages and benefits of your products and services
- Presentation, group exercise, practical activities in pairs
Closing the call and gaining commitment
- What is closing?
- Barriers to closing
- Checking skills
- Buying signals
- Asking for the business/next steps
- Facilitator input, partner work
- Practising a ‘real’ sales scenario in triads
- Group review of learning
- Importance of organisational skills and follow-up
- Follow-up actions
- Monitoring next steps
- Buyer’s remorse
- Facilitation and group discussion
Learning review and feedback
- Review workshop and personal objectives
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading introducing basic sales techniques for non-sales people.
- A colour printed workbook with selling tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Basic sales training - UK pricing
The pricing below is for delivering the basic sales course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-4 participants £950 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £995 +VAT
- 7-10 participants £1095 +VAT
Type of course: In-house
Our basic sales training is run at the business premises of our client, on an agreed date. The minimum number of course participants is 3, read why.
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
Testimonials from previous attendees
Jacqueline was a great trainer, putting up with all and any distractions and giving us a brilliant training session.
Excellent! Found the course really useful. It has provided me with the knowledge and confidence to be able to interact with others in a selling arena.