Delegation Skills Training
Become more productive at work, by learning effective delegation skills and techniques.
Learn how to delegate tasks and motivate others with this practical one-day delegation training course, which includes fun exercises. Also available as ‘bite-size’ virtual training via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
In this practical course, we provide participants with a range of tools and templates to help them learn how to delegate tasks. Participants also learn how to use effective delegation as a key development tool to motivate and challenge their people.
The training also identifies all the considerations that need to taken before, during and after a task has been delegated.
Delegation skills training is ideal for team leaders and managers wanting to enhance their own productivity and focus on their crucial goals, by delegating tasks and projects to their team members.
By the end of this delegation training course, participants will have:
- Stated what the definition of delegation is and appreciated what stops managers from delegating
- Articulated the benefits of effective delegation and described the effects of good delegation
- Practised how to delegate effectively
- Practised using questions to review progress and given feedback on their progress
- Identified tasks that can be delegated and the best team member to delegate these tasks to
What is delegation?
- Definition of delegation
- Why managers don’t delegate
- Paired exercise and group discussion
The effects and benefits of good delegation
- Benefits of effective delegation
- Managers past experiences of delegation
- Key principles for effective delegation
- Group exercise with presentation pitch, group discussion and review
How to delegate effectively
- An exercise in how not to delegate
- What we can learn from this exercise
- The art of delegation – six steps to effective delegation
- Delegation preparation checklist
- Assigning tasks for delegation
- Facilitator demonstration and whole group exercise, short presentation, individual exercise with group learning review
Communicating delegated task
- Delegation communication checklist
- Conveying delegated task to team member
- Review of checklist and short practice sessions in pairs with group learning review
Recording and prioritising delegated tasks
- Recording and prioritising long and short term goals and tasks
- Completing action plans for delegated task
- Presentation using example templates, individual exercise and group review
Monitoring progress and giving feedback
- Asking questions to review progress
- Reviewing performance
- Giving feedback and recognition
- Facilitator demonstration of techniques, practice sessions and group review
Applying the learning
- Identifying core team skills using Team Skills Matrix
- Identifying tasks for delegation
- Individual exercises, group review
Reviewing the learning and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- Templates can be emailed to participants after the delegation course
Testimonials from previous attendees
I enjoyed the day and felt that I benefited from the material and have an idea how I will free up more time and effectively delegate to my team.
Good, made me think a lot about my day to day workload and how I currently cope with it. I now have some skills to put to the test with my team.