Dealing with Difficult People Course
Practical skills for dealing with challenging behaviour in the workplace and from customers.
Our one-day ‘dealing with difficult people’ training course covers strategies and techniques to manage difficult behaviour, producing positive outcomes. Also available in truncated form, as a half-day course.
The aim of this training is to provide individuals with the skills and strategies to enable them to address difficult behaviour in the workplace.
The course provides delegates with the opportunity to work on their own work situation, where they want to handle the bad behaviour more effectively. This enables them to leave the training equipped with some effective, practised strategies for achieving a more successful outcome.
The dealing with difficult people course gives delegates a valuable insight into why people behave in challenging ways. The training develops effective strategies and techniques to deal with difficult people and behaviour at work.
In addition, we also provide dealing with difficult customers training for people who experience difficult behaviour from their clients.
By the end of this one-day training course, the participants will have:
- Considered the causes of challenging behaviour
- Recognised different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Learnt techniques to deal with difficult or angry people
- Delivered feedback assertively
- Identified the best strategies for addressing a current difficult behaviour
Understanding behaviour and what makes behaviour difficult
- What is behaviour
- Current behavioural challenges
- What causes difficult behaviour
- Factors affecting our behaviour and how attitudes are formed
- Communication misunderstanding
- Presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group discussion
Building a toolkit for dealing with difficult behaviour
- Introducing the ‘Difficult Behaviour’ Toolkit
- Current behaviour management strategies and techniques
- Facilitated group discussion
Different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Appreciating the impact of the different styles of behaviour on each other
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
Using assertive communication
- Steps to becoming more assertive
- Using assertive language
- Finding ways of saying ‘no’
- Importance and impact of our non-verbal language
- Facilitator demonstration, pairs exercise, Metaplanning exercise and facilitated group review
Handling and defusing conflict and emotions
- Our reactions to conflict and difficult behaviour
- Conflict styles questionnaire -Thomas Kiln Model
- Summary of conflict styles
- Defusing difficult emotions, particularly anger
- Individual questionnaire, presentation, pairs practice exercise, facilitation
Giving Constructive Feedback
- Importance of feedback
- Guiding principles for giving feedback
- Group exercise, presentation, pairs practice exercise
- Review of ‘Difficult Behaviour’ toolkit
- Selecting behaviour management strategies and techniques for participant’s own difficult situation
- Group review, small group practice sessions with feedback
Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection and action planning exercise, facilitated group review
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on dealing with challenging behaviour effectively
- A colour printed workbook with behavioural management tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Dealing with difficult people - UK pricing
The pricing below is for delivering the dealing with difficult behaviour course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-6 participants £650 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £695 +VAT
- 3-6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
2 x Half-day courses…
Run on the same weekday
- 6-12 participants £995 +VAT
- 13-24 participants £1095 +VAT
Type of course: In-house
Our dealing with difficult people training is run at the business premises of our client, on an agreed date. The minimum number of course participants is 3, read why.
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
Testimonials from previous attendees
Very interesting and enjoyable session.
I think the training was very helpful and made me think differently about how to approach situations.