Dealing with Difficult People Course
Practical skills for dealing with challenging behaviour in the workplace and from customers.
Our one-day ‘dealing with difficult people’ training course covers strategies and techniques to manage difficult people and behaviour, producing positive outcomes. Also available in truncated form, as a half-day course.
The aim of this training is to provide individuals with the skills and strategies to enable them to address difficult behaviour in the workplace.
The course provides delegates with the opportunity to work on their own work situation, where they want to handle the bad behaviour more effectively. This enables them to leave the training equipped with some effective, practised strategies for achieving a more successful outcome.
The dealing with difficult people course gives delegates a valuable insight into why people behave in challenging ways. The training develops effective strategies and techniques to deal with difficult people and behaviour at work.
In addition, we also provide dealing with difficult customers training for people who experience difficult behaviour from their clients.
By the end of this one-day training course, the participants will have:
- Considered the causes of challenging behaviour
- Recognised different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Learnt techniques to deal with difficult or angry people
- Delivered feedback assertively
- Identified the best strategies for addressing a current difficult behaviour
Understanding behaviour and what makes behaviour difficult
- What is behaviour
- Current behavioural challenges
- What causes difficult behaviour
- Factors affecting our behaviour and how attitudes are formed
- Communication misunderstanding
- Presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group discussion
Building a toolkit for dealing with difficult behaviour
- Introducing the ‘Difficult Behaviour’ Toolkit
- Current behaviour management strategies and techniques
- Facilitated group discussion
Different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Appreciating the impact of the different styles of behaviour on each other
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
Using assertive communication
- Steps to becoming more assertive
- Using assertive language
- Finding ways of saying ‘no’
- Importance and impact of our non-verbal language
- Facilitator demonstration, pairs exercise, Metaplanning exercise and facilitated group review
Handling and defusing conflict and emotions
- Our reactions to conflict and difficult behaviour
- Conflict styles questionnaire -Thomas Kiln Model
- Summary of conflict styles
- Defusing difficult emotions, particularly anger
- Individual questionnaire, presentation, pairs practice exercise, facilitation
Giving Constructive Feedback
- Importance of feedback
- Guiding principles for giving feedback
- Group exercise, presentation, pairs practice exercise
- Review of ‘Difficult Behaviour’ toolkit
- Selecting behaviour management strategies and techniques for participant’s own difficult situation
- Group review, small group practice sessions with feedback
Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection and action planning exercise, facilitated group review
The dealing with difficult people training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on dealing with challenging behaviour effectively
- A colour printed workbook with behavioural management tips, techniques and space for personal notes
This course is run “in-house” at the business premises of our client, anywhere in the UK. Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
We deliver in-house dealing with difficult people training to companies across the UK, including the following areas:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Need a bespoke challenging behaviour training course?
At KSL Training, even our standard courses include some tailoring to your business. To discuss a fully bespoke course call: +44 (0) 1635 890450
What’s included already…
- Up to 30 minute telephone conversation with our office team
- Pre-course information and activity
- Embedding of your own work-based scenarios
Tailor the training…
- Up to 60 minute telephone conversation with your chosen trainer
- Up to 2 hours modification of existing training materials
- Reinforce your policies and procedures within the training
+£450 per course
Fully Bespoke Training…
- Half-day meeting with your chosen trainer to ensure the training meets your needs, building the ideal programme with you
- A plan of how the learning will be applied and measured and an agreed project plan
- 2 x 30 - 60 minute telephone conversations with the trainer
Testimonials from previous attendees
Very interesting and enjoyable session.
I think the training was very helpful and made me think differently about how to approach situations.