First Line Manager Training – part 1
Learn essential management skills in a practical and fun environment.
This course is a comprehensive one-day line management training programme for new managers and team leaders. Run in-house, at your offices, or as ‘bite-size’ virtual training via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
Part one (this course)
This one-day first line manager course provides a valuable introduction to people management. The training covers communication skills and team leadership, as well as introducing practical delegation techniques to help boost productivity.
Part two (available as an optional additional day’s training) – more information.
Takes the line management training to the next level. The course covers techniques to promote effective team working and communication, as well as strategies for managing workplace change and handling difficult behaviour in the workplace.
Part one of KSL’s first line manager training provides team leaders and new managers with some invaluable techniques for getting the best out of their team members. By the end of this one-day course, the participants will have:
- Explained their role and responsibilities as a manager of team members and ways to motivate and enhance team member’s performance
- Given feedback to team members on their performance
- Demonstrated their skills in coaching team members to motivate and enhance performance
- Delegated tasks to team members in a clear, engaging and supportive manner
The role of the manager
- Managing individuals, team, and tasks
- Recognising how best to manage different levels of performance
- Motivating and engaging team members
- Case study, group discussion, trainer presentation and review of learning
Managing performance and development through effective feedback
- Purpose and benefits of giving and receiving feedback
- Opportunities for giving feedback
- Models for giving constructive and motivational feedback
- Trainer demonstration, practise feedback sessions
- Identifying opportunities for coaching
- Questioning techniques using the GROW model
- Active listening, summarising and reflecting back
- Trainer demonstration, practise coaching sessions, review of learning
- Identifying opportunities for delegation
- Skills and process for delegating effectively
- Benefits of delegating tasks
- ‘Robots & Controllers’ exercise, group discussion, individual exercise to identify tasks to be delegated amongst team and practise session
- Review of learning
- Personal action planning
- Course feedback
The training will be supported with:
- A participant pre-course questionnaire and a short piece of pre-course work
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- Access to our portfolio of management tips and performance guides
Testimonials from previous attendees
Excellent. Interacting with people on an individual level better.
Excellent. So many take aways – really looking forward to implementing coaching questions to plan future work.
Excellent. It will help me both at work and at home.
I loved this training. The example scenarios were applicable to real life. We took away specific actionable areas for improvement.
I personally found this really helpful, not just as an individual, but for us as a management team, to understand one another.
Sharon was fantastic at keeping the training on track and everyone focused. She was understanding and extremely knowledgeable.