First Line Manager Training – part 1
Learn essential management skills in a practical and fun environment.
This course is a comprehensive one-day line management training programme for new managers and team leaders.
Part one (this course)
This one-day course provides a valuable introduction to people management. It covers communication skills and team leadership, as well as introducing practical delegation techniques to help boost productivity. The training is aimed at new managers.
Part two (available as an optional additional day’s training) – see course outline
Takes the line management training to the next level. It covers techniques to promote effective team working and communication, as well as strategies for managing workplace change and handling difficult behaviour in the workplace.
Part one of KSL’s first line manager training provides team leaders and new managers with some invaluable techniques for getting the best out of their team members. By the end of this one-day course, the participants will be able to:
- Explain their role and responsibilities as a team leader
- Provide clear and engaging direction to their team members
- Give feedback to team members on their performance
- Demonstrate their skills in coaching team members to motivate and enhance performance
- Delegate tasks to team members in an engaging and supportive manner
The role of the manager
- Understanding the role of the first line manager
- Recognising how best to manage different levels of performance
- Identifying the right type of support and development
- Management skills for motivating and engaging the team
- Case study, group discussion, trainer presentation and review of learning
- Communicating clear direction and instructions
- Impact of verbal and non verbal communication
- Adapting your communication
- Trainer presentation, practical communication activity, group discussion and paired practice
Managing performance and development through effective feedback
- Purpose and benefits of giving and receiving feedback
- Opportunities for giving feedback
- Models for giving constructive and motivational feedback
- Trainer demonstration, practise feedback sessions
- Identifying opportunities for coaching
- Questioning techniques using the GROW model
- Active listening, summarising and reflecting back
- Trainer demonstration, practise coaching sessions, review of learning
- Identifying opportunities for delegation
- Skills and process for delegating effectively
- Benefits of delegating tasks
- ‘Bob’s Boats’ exercise, group discussion, individual exercise to identify tasks to be delegated amongst team and practise session
- Review of learning
- Personal action planning
- Course feedback
The line management training will be supported with:
- A participant pre-course questionnaire and a short piece of pre-course work
- A colour printed workbook with tips, techniques and space for personal notes
- Access to our portfolio of management tips and performance guides
Our line management training is run “in house” at the company premises of our client, anywhere in the UK. Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
Our professionally qualified trainers can deliver line manager training anywhere in the UK, including:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Need a bespoke management training course?
At KSL Training, all our in-house courses include some tailoring to your business, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost.
Fully Bespoke Training
To discuss a fully bespoke course call: +44 (0) 1635 890450.
Testimonials from previous attendees
I loved this training. The example scenarios were applicable to real life. We took away specific actionable areas for improvement.
I personally found this [course] really helpful, not just as an individual, but for us as a management team, to understand one another.
Sharon was fantastic at keeping the training on track and everyone focused. She was understanding and extremely knowledgeable.
Great training – enjoyed the interactive exercises.