Minute Taking Course
Learn effective minute taking and grow your confidence to administer meetings.
A one-day minute taking course which includes practical tips and techniques for taking minutes, aimed at improving meeting productivity. Run ‘in-house’ at your company premises, or in a virtual training format over Zoom.
Perfect for busy administrators, secretaries or PA’s, our minute taking course suits people with all levels of experience, who wish to improve their effectiveness at producing minutes of meetings. The training also includes practical exercises to help build your confidence as a minute taker.
By the end of the training, the participants will have:
- Identified all the actions needed to prepare and set up a meeting effectively, to ensure maximum attendance
- Learnt how to write and issue meeting agendas and convening notices
- Worked with the chairman during the meeting, and obtained his/her help with their minute taking
- Discussed how to behave confidently and assertively as a key person at meetings
- Obtained clarification and identified the decisions of the meeting
- Taken accurate notes during a meeting and converted them into effective minutes
To allow delegates to practice the role of a meeting administrator and minute taker, the course is run in the context of a meeting in a ‘boardroom’ format:
Preparing for an effective meeting
- Types of meetings
- Duties of a meeting administrator – before, during and after a meeting
- Understanding the role of the minute taker
- Preparing the meeting room – identifying the participants
- Revolving flipchart exercise, review of checklist, facilitated whole group discussion
- Producing agendas and convening notices
- Facilitator presentation, pairs exercise, facilitated group review
Contributing at the meeting
- Taking notes
- Supporting the chair
- Obtaining clarification assertively
- Facilitated group discussion, pairs practice exercise, facilitated learning review
- Best practice for writing minutes
- Small group exercise, facilitated group review and discussion
- Contributing agenda item
- Leading agenda point discussion
- Effective minute taking
- Large group simulated meeting exercise, with facilitated group review
Minute taking practice
- Review of notes and preparing minutes
- Converting notes into final minutes
- Individual exercise, facilitated group review
Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection, action planning exercise with co-coaching, facilitated group review
The training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on minute taking
- A colour printed workbook with presentation tips, techniques and space for personal notes
Minute taking training - UK pricing
The pricing below is for delivering the minute taking course on a weekday, for the specified number of participants. Prices exclude travel expenses and optional workbook printing. We supply a free PDF for our client to print the training materials.
- 3-4 participants £895 +VAT
- 5-6 participants £950 +VAT
- 7-12 participants £995 +VAT
Type of course: In-house or Virtual
Our minute taking courses are run at the business premises of our client, on an agreed date. Also available as 'bite-size' virtual training modules over Zoom videoconferencing. The minimum number of course participants is 3, read why.
Our prices already include some tailoring of the course to your business needs, as standard. For example, we will embed your own work-based scenarios into the training, at no additional cost. Alternatively, to discuss a fully bespoke course…
Some additional discounts are available for not-for-profit organisations, the NHS and Public Sector, as well as registered charities…
In-House Training Locations
We deliver in-house minute taking courses for companies right across the UK and have local trainers covering the following areas:
- London and the South East
- The Thames Valley – including Slough, Maidenhead, Oxford and Swindon
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
This course is also available in a virtual learning format, run in bite-size sessions.
Testimonials from previous attendees
I have come away feeling very positive going forward.
Excellent support from Simon. Very knowledgeable and approachable. Have learnt essentials and will aim to keep up progress in this area going forward.
I’ve taken a lot of information and skills to use in the future.
I really enjoyed the training. it was very beneficial to my role and I look forward to putting these skills into practice. the trainer was friendly and engaging.
John made the training very enjoyable and was very knowledgeable.
Great content. Increased confidence to take minutes.