Improve company reputation and client retention with better complaint handling skills.
How an organisation handles customer complaints is crucial in order to maintain a good reputation and to keep client business. Complaint handling training teaches the process and methodology needed to create an effective customer complaints handling procedure to improve customer care, satisfaction and complaint resolution rates.
Our complaint handling courses are designed for those who are responsible for dealing with customer complaints. Participants may handle complaints over the telephone, face to face or in writing. We will adapt the course to meet the most frequently used method of complaint handling by the participants.
This course will provide participants with the crucial skills and confidence to improve their handling of customer complaints with the goal of reaching a satisfactory solution that increases customer retention and loyalty.
By the end of this complaint handling training course, participants will have:
- Recognised the key skills and qualities needed to handle customer complaints effectively
- Built skills in building rapport and engaging with the customer
- Demonstrated empathy whilst maintaining control of the conversation
- Established the customer’s needs through questions and listening
- Defused difficult customer emotional responses
- Resolved typical work based complaints effectively
- Key skills and qualities for handling complaints
- Model for handling complaints
- Benefits of handling complaints effectively
- Pairs exercise ‘in your customer’s shoes’ and participant introductions, facilitated group discussion
- Communication, building rapport
- Breakdown of communication
- Building customer rapport
- Impact of telephone and written communication
- Verbal handshake
- Communication styles
- Paired practice, small group exercise, facilitated group discussion, self awareness questionnaire
- Maintaining control and empathy in complaint handling
- Using positive language
- Remaining assertive when under pressure
- Small group written exercise, facilitation and presentation
- Establishing customer needs
- Asking open questions
- Introduce questioning funnel
- Listening and summarising
- Demonstration, small group practical exercises and facilitated group review
- Defusing difficult customer emotional responses
- Managing personal response – 6 Step Approach
- Complaint handling techniques to defuse anger and other emotional responses
- Presentation, individual and small group exercise, and facilitated group discussion
- Agreeing an appropriate course of action with customers
- Achieving a win/win outcome for the customer and the organisation
- Being clear on the authority/power you have
- Escalating complaints with a defined complaint management process
- Making commitments and honouring promises
- Small group exercise with written scenarios, group feedback and discussion
- Handling work based complaints
- Tips on applying skills and techniques to written complaints
- Practising work based complaint scenarios
- Feedback and review of learning in small groups
- Review of how to apply in practice
- Presentation, practice sessions in small groups and facilitated whole group review
- Review and next steps
- Review of learning and action planning
- Course feedback
The complaint handling training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on complaint management
- A colour printed workbook with tips, complaint resolution techniques and space for personal notes
You may find this article helpful:
© KSL Consulting Ltd. DO NOT COPY content from this page. Plagiarism will result in prosecution.
Download the course overview for complaint handling training, by clicking the link below:
Well delivered and presented. Great that it was made to relate to real life scenarios in the Schools Advisory Service
Michelle Swann, Team Member, Schools Advisory Service
I enjoyed the pace and style of this training and have come away with new ideas to try. Thank you
Candace Richard, C.S.O, Public Services Ombudsman For Wales
Very interesting informative sessions re-enforcing the different methods used in complaint handling
NHS Hospital Trust
More customer reviews
To request a quote or make a booking please complete the form below.
Note: Form fields with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Please complete them in order to submit the form.
The complaint handling course is run as "in-house training", – delivered at your business premises anywhere in the UK, or at a venue of your choice.
Contact us for pricing. Please note that this course can be combined with customer service training tailored to your needs.
Training dates are flexible.
In-House Training Locations
Our network of CIPD qualified trainers can deliver in-house complaints handling training to companies across the UK including the following locations:
- London and the South East
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Oxford and Swindon
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland
Note: KSL’s training courses can also be offered in other UK cities and towns, please contact us to discuss your in-house training requirements.