Learn practical skills for dealing with challenging behaviour in business situations and the workplace.
A one day ‘dealing with difficult people’ training course covering strategies and techniques to manage difficult people and behaviour, producing positive outcomes.
This dealing with difficult people course is ideal for individuals wishing to acquire an insight into why people behave in challenging ways and develop strategies and techniques to deal with difficult people and behaviour at work.
We also deliver a very similar course for those who deal with difficult behaviour with their customers or clients.
The aim of this training is to provide individuals with the skills and strategies to enable them to address difficult behaviour in the workplace. The course provides participants with the opportunity to work on their own work situation where they want to handle the behaviour more effectively, enabling them to leave the training equipped with some effective, practiced strategies for achieving a more successful outcome.
By the end of this one day training course, the participants will have:
- Considered the causes of challenging behaviour
- Recognised different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Learnt techniques to deal with difficult or angry people
- Delivered feedback assertively
- Identified the best strategies for addressing a current difficult behaviour
- Understanding behaviour and what makes behaviour difficult
- What is behaviour
- Current behavioural challenges
- What causes difficult behaviour
- Factors affecting our behaviour and how attitudes are formed
- Communication misunderstanding
- Presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group discussion
- Building a toolkit for dealing with difficult behaviour
- Introducing the ‘Difficult Behaviour’ Toolkit
- Current behaviour management strategies and techniques
- Facilitated group discussion
- Different behaviour types and how to deal with them
- Appreciating the impact of the different styles of behaviour on each other
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
- Using assertive communication
- Steps to becoming more assertive
- Using assertive language
- Finding ways of saying ‘no’
- Importance and impact of our non-verbal language
- Facilitator demonstration, pairs exercise, Metaplanning exercise and facilitated group review
- Handling and defusing conflict and emotions
- Our reactions to conflict and difficult behaviour
- Conflict styles questionnaire -Thomas Kiln Model
- Summary of conflict styles
- Defusing difficult emotions, particularly anger
- Individual questionnaire, presentation, pairs practice exercise, facilitation
- Giving Constructive Feedback
- Importance of feedback
- Guiding principles for giving feedback
- Group exercise, presentation, pairs practice exercise
- Practice sessions
- Review of ‘Difficult Behaviour’ toolkit
- Selecting behaviour management strategies and techniques for participant’s own difficult situation
- Group review, small group practice sessions with feedback
- Action planning and reflection
- Review of learning and action planning, course feedback
- Individual reflection and action planning exercise, facilitated group review
The dealing with difficult people training will be supported with:
- An optional participant pre-course questionnaire and/or pre-course reading on dealing with challenging behaviour effectively
- A colour printed workbook with behavioural management tips, techniques and space for personal notes
This article offers some useful tips:
© KSL Consulting Ltd. DO NOT COPY content from this page. Plagiarism will result in prosecution.
Download the course overview for dealing with difficult people training, by clicking the link below:
Enjoyed the course, has helped with how to deal better with people.
Excellent trainer, very well organised, good materials and well structured. I would have liked more coverage on customer behaviour but not relevant to rest of group so can understand but did cover loads of other useful areas. Linda took the time in a break to go through some ways to cope with customer scenarios – an unexpected and very appreciated plus.
Much food for thought, very useful strategies.
Very motivating and educational. I would like to see this rolled out to all staff who deal with staff and guests.
Excellent. Good to be able to see how others deal with situations. Ideas for me. Liked the role play in pairs and groups.
Very well presented with good material.
More customer reviews
To request a quote or make a booking please complete the form below.
Note: Form fields with an asterisk (*) are mandatory. Please complete them in order to submit the form.
The dealing with difficult people course is delivered as “in-house training” at your business premises anywhere in the UK, or at a venue of your choice.
Contact us for pricing or to discuss your needs.
Flexible to suit client needs.
In-House Training Locations
We can deliver in-house behavioural management training courses to companies across the UK, with local trainers in the following locations:
- London and the South East
- Norwich and East Anglia
- Leeds and Bradford
- Oxford and Swindon
- Manchester and the North West
- Southampton and Bournemouth
- Birmingham and the Midlands
- Cardiff and South Wales
- Exeter and the South West
- Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland