Research shows that Assessment Centres provide the greatest predictor of success for selecting the right candidate for a job. In summary, the process works by asking the candidate to perform job related tasks. The assessment then involves objectively observing and measuring the candidate against a set of pre-determined organisational criteria. Typically these are behavioural competencies.
Development Centres use a similar approach, identifying the most crucial areas for growth against organisational or job measures for development. Individual support then explores how best to achieve their aspirations.
Assessment Centre Design
We offer a bespoke assessment centre design to meet your specific measures and way of working. We will either run the assessment or development centre for you, or fully support your team to run it themselves.
To ensure the validity of the design, we will select the right set of exercises and/or tests for the job role. Above all, we will identify exercises that specifically measure the respective competencies within your competency or behavioural framework.
Supporting Documentation and Help
- Assessor Briefing: We will produce written Assessor briefs for each of the exercises and provide a verbal briefing. This ensures that each Assessor/Observer is clear on the purpose; how to run and assess each exercise.
- Co-ordinator Briefing: We create a full guide for the person co-ordinating the Assessment Centre on the day. Typically, this will include all the exercises, observer and candidate assessment sheets along with some helpful checklists.
- Documentation: This includes observation forms for each exercise, as well as the overall candidate assessment sheets to capture their performance.
- Coordination: We will coordinate and run the assessment or development centre for you, or in collaboration with some of your line managers or HR practitioners. When running Development Centres we can provide development ideas. For example, customer service training ideas or training solutions, including in-house training to support the development needs identified.
Assessment Centre Exercises
- Group Exercises: A structured group exercise is ideal for measuring a candidate’s ability to work as part of a team. Typically, the exercise would utilise a business case study, with the group taking on a specific role. It would involve generating ideas and solving problems, as well as managing tasks, all within a set time period. KSL can design a diverse range of business scenarios, to suit real life situations. Please contact us for an example introduction to assessment centre exercises.
- Role Play Exercises: These are ideal for job roles such as sales and customer service. In these roles, you will need to assess the candidate’s ability to engage with an external or internal customer. In addition, we can also design role play briefs to assess crucial management tasks such as coaching or performance managing an employee.
On The Job Presentations
- Presentation Briefs: These suit job roles, such as sales and marketing, where making presentations are an essential component of the role. In this case, we can design a presentation brief for the candidate. This will simulate presenting one of your products or services to your customers. Consequently, you will then see how the candidate would perform in the selected job role.
Assessing Industry Knowledge
- Knowledge Test: For job roles that require a competent level of industry knowledge or legislation that is vital prior to selection. For example, in Pharmaceutical sales, Health & Safety or Research roles, we will work with you to produce a relevant test.
Assessment Interview Questions
- Competency Based Interview: As research shows, past behaviour is a good predictor of future performance. Consequently, we will design an Interview Guide with structured questions for all of your competencies, covering both first and second interview. As a result, this will help to ensure consistency across all the candidates. You can then use this tool on an ongoing basis for selection. In addition, we can provide your assessors with Competency Based Interview Training.
KSL Training supply a range of psychometric testing tools which are ideal for use within an assessment centre, including SHL ability and aptitude tests, together with personality profiling tools like SHL OPQ and Talent Q Dimensions.
As a SHL small business partner with an on-line testing service, we offer a wide range of personality, reasoning ability, job specific and IT skills assessments.
Our main experience of designing and running Assessment and Development Centres comes from working within the Pharmaceutical, Retail, Tele-Marketing, and Hospitality Industry. Consequently, we can assess a range of specialism and job levels. Please contact us to discuss your specific assessment needs so that we can suggest a bespoke assessment solution to meet your needs.
About the Author